1. “Sit-Com” books – I call these books “sit-com” books because they are easy, quick reads that give you a burst of entertainment in one night. They are the rom-coms or mystery paperbacks that you grab at the airport bookstore to read on takeoff/landing, if you’re an iPad-er like me, or impulsively at the grocery store checkout line. Recently, I joined the game late and got completely caught up by the Stephanie Plum series written by Janet Evanovich. I also am anxiously awaiting Kristan Higgins’ new book in April.
2. Speaking of books and airports, even with all the traveling I’ve done, I just caught on to the Paradies Bookstore Read & Return program, where you buy a book in one airport bookstore, and return it within 6 months to another participating airport bookstore to receive 50% of the purchase price back! This is actually what started the Evanovich marathon when I bought the first book in the series in Salt Lake City on my way home from Sundance, and returned it when I landed in Washington D.C. Like I said, a fast (but good) read!
3. Birchbox – if you haven’t heard of Birchbox yet, it’s a monthly beauty subscription program. For $10 each month (less if you subscribe for the annual membership), you receive a box of beauty samples tailored to your preferences. It’s like getting a surprise gift every month, mailed in a bright pink box. For February, my box contained some creams, perfume, and some interesting eye makeup. Subscriptions are first come, first served so you may have to sign up for an invite and wait. My waiting period wasn’t long.
4. Pomegranate Seeds from Trader Joes – I love pomegranates, but I hate having to peel them and dig out all the seeds while trying very hard not to squirt red juice on my clothes that will never come out! Enter pre-seeded pomegranates into my life!! They are a little pricey at $4 per box, but so worth it when I don’t have to throw out my clothes.
5. My new Huffy Raspberry Sparkle Deluxe Cruiser! I have to admit it’s a bit strange to ride a bike with the wide handlebar and the foot brakes from my childhood, but I can’t resist how supercute it is with its white-walled tires, coffee cup, and basket. Plus, the seat is so comfortable! Add a bell and lights on the front and rear, and this is the perfect vehicle for running around town.
BONUS: A cupcake ATM???
On Tuesday, February 28, Sprinkles announced a plan to open a 24-hour Cupcake Dispenser at the original store in Beverly Hills, CA. From the press release:
This automatic cupcake machine dispenses freshly baked cupcakes, cupcake mixes, apparel and even cupcakes for Fido! In the heart of Beverly Hills nestled between Sprinkles Cupcakes and the brand new Sprinkles Ice Cream, 24 Hour Sprinkles will be continuously restocked day and night with a variety of freshly baked cupcake flavors.