Spring has definitely sprung early here in beautiful Washington D.C. and with it some really warm weather! Inspired by the wonderful pale pink beauty of the cherry blossoms in April and the bright green new leaves in the trees, I thought this version of my favorite things I’d list some of my favorite sweet and pretty things I’ve discovered recently.
1. Cupcake Stand – This is perfect to celebrate someone’s special day, especially if that person loves cupcakes as much as I do, or just to have as an excuse to go out and buy yourself a cupcake. This cupcake stand was crafted by an Atlanta-based clay artist, Jeanette Zeis, who sells her handmade pottery in her Etsy store, Vessels and Wares. I bought a blue one for my mom for Mother’s Day this year that was stamped with “You Are Special.”
2. Peep Show – Every April is time for the annual Washington Post Peeps Diorama contest! I look forward to this contest every year because the entries are just so clever. My favorite entry was the 2010 ironic Peeple factory, where Peeps are making marshmallow humans. Just google “Washington Post Peeps” to get the link to this year’s winner and runners up.
3. Margarita Cupcakes from Sweetcakes in Kirkland, WA – In the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I selected this cupcake during a recent meetup with an old college friend in Seattle. I was also intrigued because the cupcake was made with tequila and margarita mix in the batter, and it was lightly sprinkled with salt on the frosting. All I know is that I need this recipe!
4. I was at Target last weekend and saw their latest women’s fashion installation. First, they had the chaos of the Missoni for Target clothes, followed by the extremely popular release of the Jason Wu for Target line. Now, they have created a fun summer collection inspired by The Webster in South Beach. I may have picked up a few pieces….
5. Spring weather inspires me to read fun and easy books in the sun – what I call “sit-com” books because I can plow through one in a night. One of my favorite “sit-com” authors is Kristan Higgins. All of her books are set in a small New England town and have the independent and clever female main character who always ends up having or getting a dog (well, there was one cat). And, of course, she gets her man in the end. Kristan Higgin’s new book, Somebody to Love, arrived on bookshelves in late April. I think I downloaded it to my iPad and read it all in the same day while I was on vacation in Italy a week ago.