Look on your counter…are there brown bananas on it? Good! Time to make Banana Nut Bread! I’m very weird about bananas, and if they have any brown spots on them at all, I don’t want to eat them. So, when I see one spot, I know it’s time to check the pantry to make sure I have some walnuts. Here’s my mom’s recipe for Banana Nut Bread that is amazing!
1/3 cup shortening or butter (my mom swears half of each makes a tastier bread)
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (approx. 3 medium sized bananas)
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream shortening (or butter or mix of both) and sugar together in a stand mixer
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until light yellow and fluffy
4. Add bananas and mix well
5. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the wet mixture a little at a time, beating well.
6. Stir in nuts
7. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (or less if you’re using a dark nonstick pan)
The smell of this bread baking is mouthwatering….and eating the bread just slightly cooled out of the oven is unbeatable. Enjoy!