Hey! Who let a unicorn into my house? More importantly, why did said unicorn insist on leaving me a present for when I got home? Didn’t his owner potty train him? Just kidding!
I first saw the concept of a unicorn poop cookie through the daily deal website, Fab.com, and laughed so hard. Nothing is better than being introduced to something super clever – and delicious. The person who thought of this is brilliant because when you really think about it, it is so obvious that unicorns wouldn’t poop like normal animals. Of course they would poop rainbows, sparkles, pearls, stars, and confetti!
Making the cookies is a very easy process. If you want step by step instructions with photos, check out this website:
Starting with a basic sugar cookie recipe (a slight modification to the classic Ethel’s Sugar Cookie recipe found in the Betty Crocker Cookbook), you prepare the dough then divide it evenly into the number of colors you want. I went for a simple four colored rainbow, using gel food coloring only to keep the water content low. I recommend Americolor Soft Gel Paste if you can find it. I buy mine at a local cake supply store, but it is available online at places like Amazon. The colors for the unicorn poop were a combo of Deep Pink and Soft Pink, Electric Yellow, Electric Green, and Sky Blue. I needed two small squirts of each color except for the blue – it is a rich hue and a little goes a long way.
Unicorn Poop Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup shortening (e.g. Crisco)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1. Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar
2. Add eggs (one at a time) and vanilla
3. Combine dry ingredients and add half to the wet mixture until combined, then add the remaining half
4. Separate the dough, evenly, and color with gel paste
5. Place each colored dough ball into a ziploc bag and chill at least an hour
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
7. Take 1/4 of each colored dough and roll on a lightly floured surface into long dough snakes
8. Combine the dough snakes into one cohesive snake, then gently lift off the surface and twist the colors together. With my four colors, I stacked two colors on the bottom and two on the top.
9. Use this rainbow snake to form the desired poop shapes (hint: pinch off the end that lands on top!)
10. Place on a lined baking sheet (silicone preferred) and bake for 10-12 minutes. Carefully watch to ensure the bottoms don’t brown too much [Note: Recipe online says bake 12-14 minutes, but my oven was browning them at the 11 minute mark]
Wilton Sparkle Gel in White
PLUS (one or all of these suggestions)
Sprinkles of choice (check out this Wilton medley)
Wilton Sugar Pearls
Wilton Cake Sparkles
Using the sparkle gel as the glue, spread a light layer of the gel on the cookie with a brush (or your clean finger, if you’re without a brush). This gel will not dry completely and remain tacky, so the lighter the coat the better. Apply decor of choice – whatever you think a unicorn would poop out.