Sometimes I just get a craving for german chocolate cake, but don’t want to go through all the fuss of making an actual cake or even cupcakes. I love macaroons. Logically, I wondered what would happen if I added a few more flavors to my original coconut macaroon recipe to evoke the flavors of traditional german chocolate cake recipes – basically add pecans and chocolate. The end result was pretty yummy and very easy!
German Chocolate Macaroons
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (e.g. Eagle Brand)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 4 oz. german chocolate (e.g. 1 box Baker’s Brand)
- Sweetened condensed milk for drizzling (remainder of the can)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix together in a bowl the coconut, egg white, vanilla, condensed milk, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Cover a baking sheet with a silicone sheet or parchment paper.
- Press together 1 inch balls of the coconut mixture and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes on the top shelf, monitoring to ensure the coconut doesn’t burn.
- Let cool on the baking sheet.
- Melt german chocolate in the microwave, then drizzle on the macaroons with a spoon or use a squeeze bottle.
- Repeat the drizzling process for the sweetened condensed milk.